Thursday, November 12, 2009

I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand.

About this proverb...  I hear and I forget; I see and I remember; I do and I understand. — The moral of this proverb, or a meaning could be You can only understand something by trying it yourself. Also said as… Telling me and I will forget. Showing me and I will remember. Involving me and I will understand. Also said as… You can’t understand until you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes. (This is a rough translation from a Chinese proverb)

If you are new to electronics,  and are going to attempt the DIXIE PIXIE experience in the proper context you will need a good level of understanding of electrical principles.


To achieve this end, I will share with this YOUTUBE channel which provides technical lectures from the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), Bangalore. -- We will use and review // Basic Electronics - Prof T. S. Natarajan. I will follow along and I be prepared to answer any questions which may arise, via email or the blog.

Each lecture consist of a hour long session where the first half is a mild lecture (with some math) and the second half is a lab. Where one is expected to follow along and build the apparatus and perform the measurements using real test equipment. (This will show what to buy, albeit you can do with less)

You will find that you can fake it, and skip this valuable step, but sooner or later when we are actually building, using and modifying your PIXIE, ie "the fun stuff", we will leave you behind in the dust because you will missing the essential underlying concepts. So my advise is settle down and plow through these free internet courses, you will be a stronger HAM for it.

Although the course is produced in India; The instructor's English is quite understandable to the American ear, and besides if you were to pay for the course at local junior college here in Atlanta, you would almost surly be assigned a foreign junior professor with a worst accent.


LECTURE1 - Introduction

NOTE: If you are starting to follow along after 12NOV2009, don't panic. - Simply catch up at your own pace, although I would not recommended more than one lecture/lab session per day, and never skip the Labs.

WARNING: The music is only for the first few seconds, it will pass - sorry that part is not so good.


-- Blog Entry 0.2 --

No comments:

Post a Comment